eISSN 2287-9803 
pISSN 2287-9412 
Aims and Scope
Ethical Guidelines
연구출판윤리규정
Editoral Board
Forthcomming Issue
Current Issue
Archive
Search
Most Read Articles
Informaion for Authors
e-Submission
Check List
Contact us
Original Article
  |   209-215.pdf
J Korean Soc Neonatol. November;13(2):209-215.
Copyright ⓒ 2006 The Korean Society of Neonatology Neonatal Medicine
Clinical Usefulness of Esophagopraphy in Term Infant with Oxygen Desaturation during and after Feeding
Hyo-Jung Yu, M.D., Ky Young Cho, M.D., Ji Young Kim, M.D. and Eun-Ae Park, M.D.
Department of Pediatrics, Ewha Womans University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
ABSTRACT
Purpose:Transient desaturation in fullterms related to feeding may be ignored. But those who are presenting significant cyanosis during feeding without any underlying disease, esophagogastric or laryngopharyngeal reflux must be regarded. The goal of this study was to investigate the incidence of reflux diseases in those newborns using esophagography. Methods:157 newborn infants showing cyanosis during feeding were collected among 705 neonates born after 37 weeks of festation from July 2003 to June 2005. Excluding infants with other underlying diseases, 40 newborns were studied for reflux diseases by esophagography. Results:117 (74.5%) infants had underlying diseases among 157 presenting cyanosis. The other 40 (25.5%) cases had decrease in oxygen saturation during and after feeding, which were spontaneously restored after ceasation of feeding. The mean gestational age and weight of the 40 newborns (composed of 21 boys and 19 girls) were 38.9±1.42 wks and 3.3±0.59 kg. Imaging study was done at 9.5th day of life in average. The level of desaturation was 79.4±9.1%. From 31 (77.5%) patient who showed reflux in esophagograhy, 21 patients had laryngopharyngeal reflux, 16 cases showed major degree GERD, 8 of which had GERD minor degree. Omeprazole was prescribed to the patients with major degree of GERD and the others were educated only (feeding position & feeding skills) which lead to improvement of symptom. Conclusion:We concluded that the esophagography is a valuable tool in evaluation of full tern infants with desaturation during feeding. (J Korean Soc Neonatol 2006;13: 209-215)
Keywords: Cyanosis, Feeding, Neonate, Gastroesophageal reflux
Copyright(c) By Korean Society of Neonatology. All right reserved.
Rm.1207, King's garden 3 Block, 34, Sajik-ro 8-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul 110-872, Korea. TEL: +82-2-730-1993 FAX: +82-2-730-1994 Email:neonate2002@hanmail.net